World War One
- its impact on Rosemarkie, Fortrose and Avoch
Photo: Searchlight at Chanonry Point. Copyright Imperial War Museum
The exhibition in Groam House Museum over the summer of 2018 told stories, in words and pictures, of how the lives of those who served at home and overseas were changed forever by the war. Also emphasised is the huge impact of the war on the communities left at home.
• Discover unexpected insights into life on the Black Isle during WWI uncovered by recent research led by Groam House.
• See how the war affected the communities of Rosemarkie, Fortrose and Avoch in different ways.
• Share the poetry and stories of a group of local creative writers inspired by the research findings.
• Life in Rosemarkie, Fortrose and Avoch before the war
• Wartime military activities and remains
• Life in the area during the war
• People serving in the war
• The impact of the war
Project research and the exhibition have been funded jointly by Heritage Lottery Fund, The Highland Council and the museum itself.